Naturopathic medicine is patient-centred system of primary heath care that focuses on prevention and the body’s innate ability to heal. It understands the healing power of nature and integrates modern scientific knowledge with traditional and natural forms of medicine to identify and treat the underlying root cause of a disease, imbalance or symptom. The goal is to provide the conditions needed for the body to restore balance and achieve optimal health.
Naturopathic doctors (NDs) are primary care physicians that are experts in natural health and wellness. They take the whole person into account by addressing physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, lifestyle, and social aspects of health. As such each person’s treatment is tailored to their individual’s needs. Naturopaths help their patients achieve optimal health through a wide range of evidence based and traditional therapies that aimed at resolving these imbalances and stimulating the body’s ability to heal.
Some of these therapies can include but are not limited to: Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine, Botanical (Herbal) Medicine, Clinical Nutrition, Physical Medicine, Lifestyle Counselling. Stress Management and Homeopathy
The Foundation of Naturopathic Medicine is based on the following six principals:
1. First Do No Harm:
In order to avoid harming patients, Naturopaths use methods and substances that minimize any potential harmful side effects, avoid suppressing symptoms and use the least amount of force necessary to treat and diagnose illness.
2. Healing Power of Nature
Naturopathic medicine recognizes the body has inherent ability to heal itself. Naturopaths aim to identify and remove obstacles to healing in order to facilitate this healing ability in patients.
3. Treat the Cause
Naturopathic medicine seeks to identify and treat the underlying cause of illness rather than suppressing symptoms.
4. Treat the Whole Person
Disease affects the entire person, not just a specific organ or a system. Naturopathic physicians treat individuals by putting symptoms, disease and imbalance into context of the whole person and their environment.
5. Doctor as Teacher
The ultimate goal of Naturopathic medicine is to educate and empower patients to take charge or their health.
Naturopathic medicine is a hugely focused on disease prevention. They assess family history, genetics, and risk factors and susceptibility to disease to make appropriate recommendations that will aim to prevent illness.
Naturopathic Medicine and Fertility
The fertility journey can be a long and difficult road for many. Naturopathic medicine is uniquely positioned to help you navigate the fertility world to help you better understand your underlying cause of fertility, how your health impacts your fertility and can provide you with a treatment plan that will improve your overall success rates. Whether you are aiming for a natural fertility cycle , and IUI or IVF, Naturopathic medicine can support you and improve your odds of a successful pregnancy.
Causes of Infertility that can be treated with Naturopathic medicine:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Poor Egg Quality
- Hormonal imbalance
- Ovulatory Issues
- Hypothyroidism and thyroid disease
- Low ovarian reserve
- Luteal phase defect
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Male Related Infertility
- Unexplained infertility…
Naturopathic Fertlity care includes:
- A thorough health assessment of both partners including:
- an in depth health/medical history (including family and environmental exposures)
- physical exam
- assessment of any recent labs
- additional blood work including hormone testing, through blood and/or urine
- identify and address underlying causes of infertility: PCOS, Endometriosis, Hypothyroidism, Obesity, Hormone Imbalance, etc..
- Diet and lifestyle modifications
- a fundamental aspect of any fertility treatment.
- identifying and addressing lifestyle factors that may be compromising your ability to conceive (e.g., high stress, alcohol, toxicity, inadequate nutrition, etc.)
- Nutrient/Herbal supplementation
- to optimize body’s function
- evidence has shown certian supplements can improve fertility by improving egg and sperm health, endometiral lining, ovulation and overall hormone balance
- Stress management
- should be part of any treatment plan but especially for anyone with fertility challenges.
- helping the body manage stress has been show to increase fertility and pregnancy rate
Naturopathic Medicine and Prenatal Care
Pregnancy can be an incredibly beautiful time in a women’s life but it can also one of the most uncomfortable with various ailments and discomforts arising that can make enjoying being pregnant difficult.
Naturopathic medicine is well equipped to resolve many common pregnancy ailments, some of which include:
– Threatened miscarriage
– Constipation/Digestive Issues
– Gestational Diabetes
– Immune issues (Frequent Colds/Illness)
– Leg cramps
– Reducing risk of Group B Strep colonization, etc.
Naturopaths use a variety of tools to help support a healthy pregnancy. Some of these modalities include:
– herbal and nutritional supplementation
– lifestyle counselling
These recommendations are all specific to a woman’s individualized needs in each trimester.
Naturopathic prenatal care at The Nest Health in Vaughan is a perfect complement to the care you receive from your obstetrician and/or registered midwife. It can provide you with unbiased information that will help you make informed decisions in your pregnancy & postpartum.
As your pregnancy nears its end you can include Naturopathic care to help you prepare for a smoother labour and better recovery. Using various tools such as acupuncture, nutrition, herbs/nutritional supplements and/or homeopathics, Naturopathic medicine can help with:
– Breech, transverse and posterior position .
– Labour prep and/or induction for those with early induction dates
– Postdate labour prep & induction
– Post-partum recovery with herbs, homeopathics and nutrients
Naturopathic Medicine and Postnatal Care
- THIS NATUROPATH SECTION IS COMING SOON